background

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Shredded Pork Taquitos

I got this recipe from
For The Love of Cooking


Shredded Pork Taquitos
I had a pork roast to cook and decided to cook it slow and low in the oven with green chiles, to make shredded pork. I thought I was going to make tacos or a taco salad with the pork but at the last minute I decided to try making baked taquitos. I was worried they wouldn't be as good as fried taquitios but I was pleasantly surprised because they were amazing. The pork was tender and juicy while the tortillas were very crispy. I made some salsa, guacamole and a cilantro and lime sour cream to dip them in. I loved these taquitos and so did my entire family.

Side note: I don't have exact measurements of the seasonings because I just sprinkled them all over the roast.

Shredded Pork:

2 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 - 2 lb pork roast (I used pork sirloin because it's lean)
1 7 oz can of whole green chiles
5-6 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
Dried oregano, to taste
Cumin powder, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
2 cups of chicken broth

Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Season the entire pork roast to taste. Heat olive oil in a small Dutch oven over medium high heat. Once hot, add the seasoned pork roast and sear on all sides. Add the chicken broth, chopped garlic and whole green chiles.

Cover with a lid and place in the oven for 2 hours then turn roast over. Cook for an additional 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat shreds easily with a fork. Shred the entire roast and mix meat with the juices then let simmer in the oven for 10-15 more minutes.

Additional Ingredients:

10 corn tortillas
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Olive oil cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Wrap 10 corn tortillas in damp paper towels for 1-2 minutes in the microwave to soften. Place a bit cheese in the center of the tortilla then top with a bit of shredded pork and roll. Place, seam side down, on a baking sheet that's been coated with cooking spray.

Finish rolling the rest of the taquitos, then spray each of them with cooking spray and bake for 5-6 minutes then turn over and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.

Cilantro and Lime Sour Cream:

1/2 cup sour cream (I used non fat)
1 tbsp sweet yellow onion, diced finely
1-2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1/2 a lime

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Dips:

Guacamole
Salsa
Cilantro and Lime Sour Cream

Serve the taquitos immediately. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...