background

Monday, October 18, 2010

turkey chili

    It is officially fall around here beautiful changing leaves, crisp mornings and chili season!!   I love soups and chili's I love when I can get away with cooking them a few times a week for dinner.
     This weekend we had a fall social with the adults of our church and we all brought chili.  There are so many different variations of chili, to very meaty, no bean, vegetarian, no tomatoes white, chicken.....
   When I make things like this  and soups I clean out my fridge and throw lots of stuff I think would work well together.   It might seem like a lot of ingredients but customize it to fit you and what you like. Today I will show you one that is our staple chili.  It is not the most ordinary, but neither and I.  Mine is secretly full of veggies, that taste great give good texture and of course nutrition.
   I opted for ground turkey because it is lighter than beef and I only did one pound with lots of beans (so good for you) and a few veggies. ( most people may not do mushrooms in their chili, that is how we made it growing up, I like them, I do less meat so this gives it more of a meaty feeling and great flavor, and my kids love them, even fight over them) Even picky eaters with not find them in all the goodness.  Especially if they get to eat it with chips.  In my house chips with big scoops on top are like the magic utensil for eating things  they would not normally want to.




Printer friendly recipe
 Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 2 bell peppers, diced ( I used red but you can use whatever color you have on hand)
  • 1 pound mushrooms ( I used baby bellas) chopped
  •  2 stalks celery finely diced
  • 1 pound ground turkey (trying to keep it healthier)
  • 1Tb mexican reasoning
  • 1T chili powder
  • 1T ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • salt and pepper to taste.
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth or water
  • 1/2 cup favorite salsa
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, or coarsely chopped tomatoes packed in puree
  • Juice of one lime
  • 2 T brown sugar. 
  •  1 can kidney beans, rinsed
  •  1 can pinto, rinsed
  • 1 can northern beans, rinsed (use any variety of beans you like)  Tip: check consistency and add water if needed and put on lid   or if too  liquidy keep your lid off and the chili will cook down.

    Directions:  Saute onion, bell peppers, celery, mushrooms in oil, until tender then move to side brown turkey, add seasonings, tomatoes and beans etc...  simmer on low for 30 minutes to an hour or put in the crock pot and let it go all day.

    Then for the fun part, garnishes   we love cut up avocados. sour cream, cilantro, green onions, and chips and of course cheese.  Go ahead be as naughty or as nice as you like and of course enjoy!!!



Happy fall everyone.  Do you have a perfect chili?  what are your secret ingredients.   Next time I am trying cocoa powder in mine.   sounds fun huh.


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...