background

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Eggplant parmesano

This was one of my grandpa Dales recipes and we have just loved it. I made it last night and decided to share it with you for something new.

2 Medium Eggplants. Sliced (about ½ inch thick)
2 Beaten eggs w/milk
1 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
a few TBLS. Olive Oil
1 Jar, Marinara sauce
1 pound Italian sausage
1 chopped onion
3 cloves garlic
1/2 Italian parsley chopped
1/2 Lb Mozzarella Cheese (Sliced)
1 Cup Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese

I first began just like making a red sauce. I diced up onion and garlic and sauteed them in olive oil. after a few minutes I added the sausage. you can definitely do with out this or use hamburger. I just think it adds a nice flavor. and I am the biggest non sausage fan ever, but this is different. after that was all browned I added my favorite pasta sauce a tomato and basil sauce. then I added the chopped parsley and let it cook down in a simmer.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Soak the eggplant slices in salt water for approx 30 minutes, drain & rinse.


Dip each slice into egg mixture, then into bread crumbs, coating well.
Grease a cookie sheet with olive oil and arrange coated eggplant slices on it. Drizzle each slice with olive oil. Bake in the oven about 15 minutes. Check that the slices are golden brown, then turn over and bake for another 15 minutes. They should be browned on both sides.



In a baking dish, arrange eggplant slices in 1 layer. Put half the mozzarella cheese and half the marinara sauce, repeat with the rest of the eggplant, cheese and sauce. Top with Parmesan cheese and bake for about 20 minutes at 350. sorry no picture of process but here it is waiting to go in oven and get all melty and gooey and yummy!



enjoy! Parker even devoured it. I love it and it is much healthier than the traditional fried way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...