background

Monday, November 01, 2010

Hot Caramel Apple Cider

This weekend I hosted a baby shower at my home. With the weather outside being chilly and fall in full swing I was so excited while planning my menu. I knew I wanted to serve a yummy warm apple cider.  I do not drink coffee so it is fun this time of the year to have a few warm drinks.   I searched around and this one at Our Best Bites that sounded good.   Oh boy it was.  Everyone loved it. I have never had real apple cider before.  Only from a little packet that you mix in hot water like hot chocolate.  It is so not the same.  You will love this.  This is the best thing I could think of to warm me up on a cold autumn day!


1/2 gallon apple cider (64 oz or 8 C)(not apple juice)
1/2 C orange juice
1 orange
8 cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
1/4 t ground allspice
1/3 C jarred caramel sauce
 whipped cream a can is fine!

Begin by pouring 8 C of apple cider into a large stock pot on the stove pot. Set heat to medium-high. Add orange juice, cinnamon sticks, and allspice.

DO not substitute ground Cinnamon or cloves use the real thing.  if you have bulk spices at your store you can just buy what you need and it is cheap if you do not use them  often.


Thoroughly wash your orange and then gently stab the whole cloves into it.


 Put the whole orange into the pot. Bring cider to a boil and then reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer on low for 60 minutes.  Your house will smell great!  I had people come in while I was making mine and they thought it was the best smelling candle ever!   If the orange is cooked too long it could split open if that happens remove immediately it will leave your cider bitter from the pith.  If you leave it on the stove to stay warm remove the orange and keep it on very low.  Before you serve add caramel sauce.  if you want it sweeter add more.

When ready to serve, ladle into mugs, top with whipped cream, and give it a drizzle of caramel and a sprinkle of cinnamon!

 recipe adapted from Our Best Bites

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...