Printer friendly recipe
- 15 ounces mixed baby greens
- 3 pears - peeled, cored and chopped
- 5 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled ( a type of blue cheese) any kind can be substituted
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions or green
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard ( I like Dijon)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, stir 1/4 cup of sugar together with the pecans. To help sugar coat add a tablespoon of water if needed. Continue stirring gently until sugar has melted and caramelized the pecans. Carefully transfer nuts onto waxed paper. Allow to cool, and break into pieces.
- For the dressing, blend oil, vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, mustard, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper.
- In a large serving bowl, layer lettuce, pears, blue cheese, avocado, and onions. Pour dressing over salad, sprinkle with pecans, and serve.
- A few helpful hints to cut down on time is to double or triple the amount of nuts you make and freeze the rest for another time. Yes you will make this salad again. I have even in a pinch bought already caramelized nut from my bulk bin at the grocery store.
- I love balsamic vinegar in almost any recipe, but here the red wine tastes best it does not overpower.
- If traveling with this salad leave avocado off until serving so they do not brown.