background

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Roasted brussel sprouts

   I might risk sounding extremely dumb but here I go. Until yesterday I was convinced it was two weeks til Thanksgiving not one.  So many things kept coming up  alluding to it being closer, but I pushed them all aside thinking they must be wrong it is not next week. Finally, I glanced at the calendar to see how wrong I was.  I guess this is what happens when I go on vacation the first week of November, I am way off.  Crap I need to get moving, I hate shopping for food a few days before  Thanksgiving I need to make my list and go today.  So when my kiddos wake up from naps we are off.

  I have had many people say to me they need more side recipes they are tired of green bean casserole.  True all canned ingredients making a green bean casserole is not my idea of a thanksgiving feast either, when homemade and fresh green beans it can be heaven.  But today I will give you few other ideas.


The first one is brussel sprouts... bad wrap huh.  I personally enjoy them when they are roasted and I was reminded of that last night while watching Throwdown with Bobby Flay.   I hope you did not miss it,  It was great  Ree Drummond from Pioneer Woman challenged HIM to a Thanksgiving throw down it was at her ranch and I will not tell you what happened maybe you recorded it or you can find it online somewhere. It was great.  I was routing for Ree the whole way.  I have been reading her blog for years now and I feel like she is my friend.  At least I like to think so. It was so fun to see her in her Lodge and with her family and friends.   Anyways sorry  for the tangent but Bobby Flay made these amazing looking brussel sprouts.  I have not tried these yet, but I will.  But I have made these before and I love them and so will you!   They are simple, quick and tasty!

 

Simple roasted Brussel Sprouts

Ingredients serves 4

  • 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and yellow leaves removed.
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
  2. Place trimmed Brussels sprouts, olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal tightly, and shake to coat. Pour onto a baking sheet, and place on center oven rack.
  3. Roast in the preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes, shaking pan every 5-10  minutes for even browning. Reduce heat when necessary to prevent burning. Brussels sprouts should be brown and caramelized when done. Adjust seasoning with kosher salt, if necessary. Serve immediately. 
These would also be great with sauteed bacon or  pancetta!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...