background

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

spaghetti squash "spaghetti"

      I have talked about lots of sweets that are fall related, with the  pumpkin cookies, caramel apples, apple cider etc... but how about the other crops that are amazing in the fall ....Squash.
  A squash that I never had until about a year ago was spaghetti squash.  I think the easiest way to cook it is whole and on a baking sheet at 375 for about an hour depending on the size of your squash.  Once I tried to cut it raw and cook it cut in two, but it was so hard to cut. Cooking it first and it is like cutting butter when it has baked for an hour.  Then scrap out seeds and test squash if it is still hard then put it back in over and continue cooking for about 20 minutes or so until soft and tender. 

   I have to tell you then night before I tried this the first time I honestly laid in bed trying to imagine how this squash would turn into noodles it literally boggled my mind.  Then once I ran my fork through it , it was completely different than how I had imagined, but so cool.  Really it is like magic.
I like to top mine with spaghetti sauce just like I would noodles.You can do with meat or without. It is delicious and a great way to save the pasta and go  lighter and more nutritious.  It is a really nice alternative to pasta, and when you eat your spaghetti this way you don't have to feel bad about that nice slice of bread you are having on the side, because you aren't doubling up on your carbs.

My kids ate this so fast they both had two bowls...   Also for anyone with gluten allergies this is a great substitution for  wheat products.  My little boy is allergic to almost everything under the sun, it was nice not to have to cook him his own type of noodle.  
Next time you are in the store pick up a spaghetti squash and try it for yourself!




Printer friendly recipe
 Ingredients
one large spaghetti squash
Italian seasoning
salt pepper
Jar of pasta sauce
  Preheat oven to 375.
Bake squash for one hour or until tender
scrap insides with fork after removing seeds. season squash.
top with sauce.  can make a meat sauce if you desire.
  serve with salad and green beans

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...