background

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Sweet and sour chicken

  This is one of those dishes I love to order from Chinese food take out. It is also a winner among kids probably because it is sweet.  I was craving it one night and decided I would make it but much healthier than the traditional fried way.  I would do it just like a stir fry.  It turned out great everyone including my kids went back for seconds.
  Try out this easy healthy meal your family will love!
 
Ingredients:
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cubed
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion sliced
1 sliced green bell pepper
1 sliced red bell pepper
1 cup carrot strips (julienned)
1 clove garlic, minced
1tablespoon fresh ginger chopped
 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
1(15 ounce) can pineapple chunks
1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges ( I just added these because I knew my kids would like them,  not needed)
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoon vinegar
2 tablespoon brown sugar

Directions:
1.     Brown chicken in oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, carrot and garlic and stir fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
2.     In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and soy sauce and mix together; pour mixture into the skillet, along with the pineapple and liquid, ketchup, vinegar, sugar and mandarins. Stir together and bring to a full boil.

Serve over rice or noodles.
 Serves 4-6
 recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com

1 comment:

  1. This is one thing I must learn, one of my favorite things to orer when we are out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...